#1 Temporal residency in Latvia for students by BalticLegal 16.01.2023 21:37

According to the Latvian Immigration Law, a foreigner has the right to apply for a temporary residence permit in accordance with the period of study of educational institutions accredited in the Republic of Latvia or full-time students.

According to the Latvian Immigration Law, a residence permit entitles a foreigner to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a specified period of time, e.g. B. Students can stay in Latvia for the time of their studies.

The visa certifies that a person has applied for permission to enter and stay in the Republic of Latvia or in a member state of the Schengen Agreement for the period specified in the visa and for the number of times specified therein.

In practice, for students from third countries (residing outside the Schengen area) studying abroad, a residence permit is more appropriate than a student visa.

In order to obtain a residence permit in the Republic of Latvia in connection with studying at an accredited higher education institution or participating in a study program, you must present a valid travel document accepted in the Republic of Latvia (passport) at the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia. submit the following documents:

completed application for a residence permit;
a photograph;
Criminal liability notice from a competent institution in the country of citizenship or host country if a foreigner has stayed in this country for more than 12 months
a document confirming the necessary subsistence - 285 EUR per month (12x 285 EUR = 3415 EUR per year). In this regard, you should provide a bank statement showing that you have at least EUR 3415;
a document confirming the intended place of stay in the Republic of Latvia and the rights to stay there;
a document confirming the payment of state duties;
an agreement on studies in the Republic of Latvia;
Evidence that you have acquired the necessary training to start your studies.
Before submitting the documents, your inviter must approve the call to the immigration office of the Office for Citizenship and Migration or to a state authority. The invitation would probably be issued by the respective educational institution. The inviter needs the invitation at the migration office in Latvia and then the invitation is sent by post to the embassy. The invitation is a mandatory document when obtaining the visa.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor